WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Unh3lpful

L2: Junior Member
May 6, 2015
Inspired by Freyja to do some European. Specifically, Belgium. Sorry about the lightning.

QbyyWTD.jpg

Source:
belgium_brugge_old_houses-sml.jpg

Bull

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 30, 2011
Dont give the map a name too early. Wait until you got a style for the map. Most of my maps went to multiple names before even the first version was released. Only once you have a target on the style you can come up with a good name.

Fair enough, I'll think of a name when I get a theme down.

"Just industrial" is not a refined enough style. Is it a factory, is it a warehouse, what is being made/transported, what are you protecting/trying to blow up, what are they trying to achieve? These are all questions you should ask. And by answering those you can start creating a name. And sometimes that needs a finished map.

Yeah I'll be thinking that over a bit more when I've got the layout settled. Good advice though!

Also for a payload map i find the spawn entrance too close to the capture area. It will very likely make it easy to defend which is something that might be very dangerous and boring. Would you want the defenders standing in the spawn doorway as they are harder to be hit there? Ensure that the capture area is out of the direct view from the spawn. Idealy most of the payload track even should be. And if they can see it, then they should be able to recieve the focus of the attackers without it instantly turning into spawn killing.

Oh yeah, I see what you mean. The door you see in the screenshot isn't actually the door to the spawn itself, it leads to the back hallways which then lead to the spawn room. Sort of Upward's idea. Still, I might have to rearrange the battlements a little. Thanks for the advice!

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Inspired by Freyja to do some European. Specifically, Belgium. Sorry about the lightning.

Rotate the building/sun so the front facade is lit, it'll look better :eek:

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014

-snip-

Cool! I really dig the atmosphere you're inciting.

One fickle complaint, though. The tile texture would probably look a bit better if the horizontal lines lined up with the top of the roof rather than the bottom.

Still, this is incredible work, and I'm excited to see more mappers incorporate new themes into their work.

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
I was bored, so here's some small detailing work I did completely at random with all these 'TF2 Alien Invasion Update' rumors floating around.

yGfQmgO.jpg

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
A recommendation: Add a border on the texture for the slide using the alpha channel (I assume the texture is $selfillum and not UnlitGeneric?) to make it look like it doesn't exactly perfectly fill the screen.

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
A recommendation: Add a border on the texture for the slide using the alpha channel (I assume the texture is $selfillum and not UnlitGeneric?) to make it look like it doesn't exactly perfectly fill the screen.

See here's the funny part, I know jack shit on how do any of that! :O

Snowbat

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 23, 2013
You do that by adding an alpha channel to the texture. Everything in the alpha channel that is black will be transparent, everything white will be visible. I use photoshop for that.

TheoF114

L1: Registered
Sep 10, 2013
Some images from Kombu (the connector building of 1st and 2nd for anyone who knows the layout)
I think lighting may still need a bit of work though.
WUX60Dx.jpg

6e7SZFc.jpg

OxzRAFM.jpg

hebRLL5.jpg

BStkqoA.jpg

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009

Just make part of the outer edge transparent (since that's what Photoshop expects alpha channels to be used for) and pick DTX5 when you save the VTF; the plugin should take care of the rest.

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
Just make part of the outer edge transparent (since that's what Photoshop expects alpha channels to be used for) and pick DTX5 when you save the VTF; the plugin should take care of the rest.

Ok? And what if I don't use photoshop?

I use Paint.NET to make the image, then I use Gimp 2 to do anything else I might need.

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
Here's a slightly newer version:
6eU1WLF.jpg

Instead of putting in a slide border, I made the lettering fade out slightly and distorted the characters a bit.

I also added a few props and dimmed the red lighting down a bit.