CTF Caboose

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
A mysterious briefcase has appeared in the middle of the train yard, containing <bad things>! Naturally, RED and BLU, being the kind generous folk they are, try to give it to one another.

Caboose is a Football CTF/Invade style map, where a middle neutral flag is to be delivered to the enemy's base. This is in favor of less stalemate-y gameplay.

Thanks to Psy for making an excellent map to model off of, and the people behind The Construction Pack for their stairs. You're all awesome.

Last edited:

colacan

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 14, 2012
I think it's because he said the teams try to upload it to each others web servers. Makes sense that they are in the enemy base.

Bereth

L4: Comfortable Member
Dec 13, 2011
Those steps in the third screenshot look really steep. Just because someone can scale something doesn't mean that's the height it should be.

Headhunter09

L1: Registered
Apr 29, 2012
The papers falling out of the briefcase are actually hand-copied DLL files... probably with illuminated letters and gold embroidery.

Wati_Feir

Apr 8, 2012
Those steps in the third screenshot look really steep. Just because someone can scale something doesn't mean that's the height it should be.
In Scotland those steps would be considered a horizontal platform, lad.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
During the playtesting last night, a lot of people had trouble figuring out the flow of the map. Additionally, the bases were far too difficult to maneuver in, had too many turns, and were overall just cramped. Changes to expect for A2:

-Redesigned bases! Having looked at other invade maps, the plan is to make a central path with multiple flanks (tbh I don't know why I didn't do this in the first place). Also bigger rooms! I'll just be throwing out the old design altogether.
-Dimensions changes in mid.
-Flag now sits on a platform with multiple paths leading up to it.
Here's a picture of what I have so far:
redesign01.png

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Alright, so because Frozen accidentally everything, discussion/changelogs on this map got lost. Not to worry though, we're going to get right back on track with Alpha 9. Only one change this time around:

-Whenever flag returns to center, it will stay disabled for 10 seconds.

Caboose will probably enter beta soon.

yikitama

Jun 13, 2012
Seems like a good idea for a gametype. i can really see it working in Tf2. good luck!

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I find it funny how many people were confused by this map. Football-style CTF maps were all the rage a few years ago. At least on the servers I played on.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
So, this map is getting an overhaul, ground-up remaking of all the brushwork. Not to worry, though! The core design of Caboose will be the same as you've always known. The reason for this is that, having more experience in making TF2 maps, redoing the dimensions of every path is probably a good idea. That, and the original brushwork sucks and had no implied theme.

I am, however, remaking one part of the map that I never quite liked: the mid. It always felt a bit cramped, and the platform didn't make much sense in terms of detailing. Now, the mid is a multi-layered bridge that essentially functions the same, yet flows better. Here's a picture, with equivalent routes shown in the same colors:
newmid.PNG

The rest of the map will stay essentially the same, except I may change the spawns to make them less campable.