Coalburn

Steff0o

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2009
Ventoux
By: Stef "Steff0o" Tervelde

new_logo2.jpg

Uploaded Beta 1

Red Valley Mining and Jenking Coal are company's that are next to each others door, mining coal to the extreme made there recources run empty. Now there is only one source of coal left, and Red Valley Mining and Jenking Coal have both hired a group of mercinaries to take control of the last source of coal.

Every version of my map is in the changelog, just click the version number.

Thanks to:
-DaBeatzProject
-Muffin Man
-Hanz
-Promethium
-A Boojum Snark (Recource Pack)
-Ravidge (Lightnign library)
-People who are regular in the tf2maps chat
-and anyone who played my map
7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Glad you fixed the things I told you to fix. :p

And the middle building looks neat. ^^

Steff0o

May 31, 2009
changed to a2a
i forgot the playerclip :O
and re-did a areaportal

Steff0o

May 31, 2009
gameday bumb :p

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Ahh, I do like this map a lot, especially the hectic comebacks that players can get from toe upper drop-down part.

One problem I did notice is (excuse my description) the floor on the red side next to the cap behind the door, it has a flickering floor, I'm guessing it's an overlapped brush. You can't really see it in the screenshot, but you'll know where I mean:
koth_ventoux_a2a0003.jpg

Steff0o

May 31, 2009
Ahh, I do like this map a lot, especially the hectic comebacks that players can get from toe upper drop-down part.

One problem I did notice is (excuse my description) the floor on the red side next to the cap behind the door, it has a flickering floor, I'm guessing it's an overlapped brush. You can't really see it in the screenshot, but you'll know where I mean: [/quote]
yes it was a double brush

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
it played quite well today.
only thing that bugs me tho is the area above the cap. It sometime felt more important than the point itself which is against the koth philosophy i.e. rush mindlessly the damn point.
just sayin.

still a good map tho. keep it up!

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Really digging the point, the area around it is really nicely done too.

Aside from making the hole above the point easier to jump up into, there isn't really anything you should change imo.

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Was very enjoyable, I really liked the flanking options.
Some ideas:
a) Open up the drop hole at the cap so soldiers can RJ up into it.
b) Clean up the brushwork of the buildings either side of the cap that people can shoot directly into it from
c) Do something about that annoying long walk to get from inside spawn to outside it, but without shorting the overall walk to mid.

Steff0o

May 31, 2009
Ok, i'll open up the hole some more and
maybe start detailling for Beta?

b) Clean up the brushwork of the buildings either side of the cap that people can shoot directly into it from

how do you mean?

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
koth_ventoux_a2a0000.jpg

This area is waaaaaay too dark. Brighten it, make it more interesting, I didn't even know there was a staircase until I flew through the map!

koth_ventoux_a2a0001.jpg

This pathway is unused, because it's so dark.

koth_ventoux_a2a0003.jpg

Make this hole bigger (lol), and maybe raise the roof a bit? It felt very constrictive when trying to soldier battle up there, but I suppose the cap directly underneath that had lots of space balanced that out.

koth_ventoux_a2a0006.jpg

This area, what's the point of the ground like that? Why not have a staircase as well? This area is very claustrophobic, pleeaaasee increase the height of the roof.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
The match always starts with a massive meatgrinder above the point, but other than that... Well, what can I say? Fun overall.

SlayerBlitz

L3: Member
Dec 3, 2009
first off, I loved this map. It was one of the best koth maps i've ever played, it might actually be the best. But there are ways to make it better.

Maybe put some stuff outside the spawns instead of just a empty courtyard, rocks, trees, any thing will work. The 2 areas to the left and right of the point seemed very long, maybe you could move it together some more. It seemed at some times to be just a little TOO big. Like 10% too big.

I know those may not have been very helpful but I couldnt really think of any other points to point out, great job on the map.

Steff0o

May 31, 2009
koth_ventoux_a2a0006.jpg

This area, what's the point of the ground like that? Why not have a staircase as well? This area is very claustrophobic, pleeaaasee increase the height of the roof.

Thnx
and i added windows already to that place in the map :p
they will make it alot less claustrophobic
and about the stairs, i tried placing them but it ended up as a really weird staircase :O

The match always starts with a massive meatgrinder above the point, but other than that... Well, what can I say? Fun overall.

I dont see that as a problem though :p

Last edited:

Dustoxx

Jan 9, 2009
this is just an awesome koth map. It's really fun and pretty balanced. Only thing is the long walk from spawn and that it's so open in the spawn area. A lot of space isn't used there.
But this map is already sweet, so i'm looking forward to the final product!

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The cap area is just a box. Can't you make it more interesting?

Besides that, the walk out of spawn is unecasserily long. You have this huge open space that never gets used.

The doors obviously break sight lines but are also easily sticky camped and sentry's are always over powered when covering them. Icarus made good use of that fact on this map. Covering the flanking path doorways bulwarked the lighter classes from flanking manouvres whilst remained out of sight from the heavier classes directly assaulting the point.

Dunno what else to say, the areas around the point were pretty fun and allowed for a myriad of tactics to be applied.

Steff0o

May 31, 2009
Progress on detailling:
11.jpg

Not done yet, still working on it :p

detail12.jpg

pretty happy with this result, you could also see i changed the color of the middle building to make it less look like its owned by red.

detail2.jpg

Dustoxx

Jan 9, 2009
nice work on the details.

Maybe add a light to the lamp in the second pic? It would look logic, and brighten the darkness up so it would stand out more.