Artpass Grim Tuesday

Nov 14, 2009
So, I have decided that it is finally time to post a progress thread for my artpass, mainly for the use of receiving feedback. I have chosen the space theme, with the first point being themed like a space station, the second an arboretum in said station, and the third a rocket launching area.

In no way is the first point finished, but I just thought it would be nice to make a post.

What i've been having the most trouble with, is making a way for the station to be enclosed. A flat roof doesnt work, any other types dont. Right now, im running with flat glass, and some solar panels by Acumen to be deposited on top. Im also trying to figure out a way to get rid of the monotony of the single floor pattern. Texture donations would be appreciated :p

Dont comment about misaligned textures, because I know they are there. And yes, the walkways are clipped off, and it doesnt feel like you should be able to walk on them.

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
needs more env_dustmotes

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I would try making chevrons on the ground (overlays I guess) that point to where people should go in team colors. Maybe also trim along the ground in team colors? Sort of like the tile texture that I can't remember the name of, but obviously in this style. Also I don't really like the design you've got in the floor texture ... not only does it looks bland, it seems poorly done.

The ramp you have leading into the Point A building looks pretty weird. For this theme I would utilize a lot of flying stairs and ramps rather than solid ones.

Also, spend some time looking at old futurist art from the 50s. This just looks like futurist stuff from now -- remember that TF2 is set 50-odd years ago or so.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Also the 80s, though the 80's future stuff was a product of the 80's so you do have to blend and filter.

Huckle

L3: Member
May 31, 2010
Something to really watch out for is getting rid of the displacements. The excellent thing about displacements is that they are uneven and can take blend textures. By creating flat brushes the edges will be sharp all across the map, forcing you to add (a great amount of) overlays to break up the texture and monotony. Another thing to consider is adding round corners or round windows on some of your buildings.

You could also consider covering the sky with some kind of glass dome, a low-strength displacement with a hexa/octagonal texture might both look nice and allow skybox lighting.

Verno

L2: Junior Member
Jul 17, 2010
Also, spend some time looking at old futurist art from the 50s. This just looks like futurist stuff from now -- remember that TF2 is set 50-odd years ago or so.

Exactly, since your going with a space theme, keeping it in TF2 style will be you're top priority.

Here's a great website filled with "retro-future" images...
paleofuture.com

Last edited:

Ashy Knuckles

Aug 15, 2009
Exactly, since your going with a space theme, keeping it in TF2 style will be you're top priority.

Here's a great website filled with "retro-future" images...
paleofuture.com

Great Link. I've been trying to have Red base have a retro sci-fi look myself. So that link helps a lot. I also found a couple sites with book covers from old sci-fi novels that might help.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2010/02/retro-future-to-stars-part-3.html

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/10/grand-old-times-in-future.html

@Grim, To seal off the Map you could add something like a Ringworld-ish construct to the skybox. Same affect they use for the Halo ring in the Halo games, or how the background was on Babylon 5/ Mass Effect (citadel) anytime they showed the "roof". Or maybe two, so the gamearea is assumed to be a third ring section. You might have enough suspension of disbelief so that you dont need to have visible supports betweem sections.

treythepunkid

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 8, 2008
Hey man, i love this theme.

Funny enough i was going to do this theme, but decide not to.

What you have so far is awesome. I hope you don't mind but i made a prop to fit your theme.

You dont have to use it, its kinda crappy. Its a satellite.

WdsEG.jpg

Your theme inspired me to make it! Once i finish the texture i will upload it for everyone to use.

treythepunkid

Sep 8, 2008
Awesome! Is there any way you can make a 1/16 version for me to put on a turntable in the 3D skybox?

Haha i'm glad you like it, and yes i can defiantly do that!

Also, if you need any more models made i would love to do some more! I had some pretty crazy model ideas when i was thinking about doing the space theme myself.

Edit:Btw, here is the skybox version. Also added a large version of the normal model and made a collision mesh for it.

50EOo.jpg

CZ0Ao.jpg

Last edited:

Stink Horse

Aug 1, 2009
Crazy question Trey, could you also include a version with the panels, body, and dish as separate pieces? That way if someone wanted to they could make a crashed version of it on a more terrestrial map with the bit's all scattered or bent.

treythepunkid

Sep 8, 2008
Crazy question Trey, could you also include a version with the panels, body, and dish as separate pieces? That way if someone wanted to they could make a crashed version of it on a more terrestrial map with the bit's all scattered or bent.

Sure thing man. Infact, if you want I can make some damaged versions of it with dents and scratches and stuff.

Also, is there any more space models anyone needs, i would love to make some more for you guys!

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2009
Enough of this discussion of Trey's awesome models! I have progress! Ive been working on C, and need feedback on a few things.

So, I put some blue lights under the stairs, which I think make it look very spacey. However, this is a read area, and red lights look OK, but not nearly as good. Should I stick with blu lights, or go to the red (both examples are illustrated in the picture below)

artpass_valvebase50013.jpg

Second, I added a bumpmap and shiniefied the floor texture. Is it enough? Too much? I also added those arrows, but for some reason, even though they are straight on the grid, they appear crooked. Oh well.

artpass_valvebase50016.jpg

Finally, do you guys like my beam style? If you do, they will probably be appearing elsewhere in the map not only a support beams, but also as "guides" for pipes and signs

artpass_valvebase50014.jpg

Oh ya, one other question: Do you think I should make the black patches (soon to become mesh with pipes maybe?) centered related to the point, or should I keep them centered to their respective staircases?

Last edited: