Anthem

KotH Anthem b4

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
RED and BLU struggle over the courtyard between their estates, each trying to control the center so they can uncover the secrets of the other team.

You can have this map if you want it http://tf2maps.net/threads/koth_anthem-files.29460/

Thanks to:
Mangy for inspiration and Estate textures
Ravidge for helping me with some model work
Fubar for some help with optimizing
Prestige who was always there for me in my time of need
Spud for the ivy models

Last edited:

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
I am already breathless with anticipation.

Mar 20, 2012
Your visualizers for BLU spawn are set to Red Team, I think. I couldn't leave spawn as a BLU player (the doors open, but the visualizer doesn't let you through).

This is just food for thought:
From a gameplay point of view, I'm curious about the spire point. You can take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I only play Spy in the UGC/ETF2L Highlander seasons, but the point seems too easy to defend once it is captured. In my case, I have to wind up to the top in order to get a pick on the Medic who can easily watch two entrances that can be seen in the same FoV. If you don't get what I'm saying, here's a picture:

8BA334CC93DCE6458CD12328D7D00E356075C245

There's no way I can get a pivotal stab on this KotH while the opposing team controls the point. That's very different when compared to Lakeside or Viaduct, where I can slip behind from a rock, get a pick and change the game. That's not to mention that the Pyro is going to be immensely more powerful here than he generally is in Highlander.

From my team's experience, spire works in Badlands because the Scout and I (the Spy) work closely to soften up defenses on last while our Soldier/Demoman take care of what's happening at spire. After all, they have the tools to engage this kind of point without the hideous walking distance that spire entails.

Considering we haven't played on it, there's no need to make drastic changes or go back to the drawing board. Just something I'd ponder about as you move this pretty map forward! :)

Mar 23, 2010
reminds me of thundermountain last

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
I wanted to go into more detail when you asked during the test but got interrupted mid sentence with stuff to do, so here.

the point is really bad, climbing it is just a death sentence for any class can't rocket jump, and it's dead easy to be knocked off or attacked while you're on it.

Worse yet, once you're on the ground you lose all visibility of anything on the battlements (and most of the ground too), or the point, and have no idea what to do since you can't easily figure out what's going on and what you should do as a result. Not to mention it's just a deathpit and you might as well kill yourself before an enemy does, if you land anywhere aside from your side of mid.

I'm not sure about the battlements themselves, looking at them again I still can't find anywhere I could possibly stand and build a charge and not be at constant risk of just getting outright raped, save for right outside my spawn. That might have just been because it was a pub though with no one besides trotim actually trying to keep me alive.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Yeah there are many changes I want to make already, but I'm going to have some guys do actual Highlander on it first.

stegarootbeer

L2: Junior Member
Jan 15, 2012
Dang, this is like exactly what mine looks like in the middle. I was even thinking of thunder mountain last when I did it. Guess I should go back to the drawing board.

Mar 23, 2010

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
It's better but now the geometry is really strange looking, and jumpy classes will still rule up there. What about a roof over the point so no direct jumps / downwards spam onto it? At the least, put a roof over that (respective to this picture) leftmost route onto the structure, as that'll be a nonjump approach route

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I see what you're saying but I'm gonna watch the STVs before I change that part I think, just to be sure. I'm not sure I saw any one class really dominating the point. Pyro was possibly the most annoying I guess, then Scout. What I'm kind of thinking now is that ForbiddenDonut was right, because I don't know if I ever saw spies on the point but I'm not sure anyone even played spy so

Last edited by a moderator:

MetalKev

L2: Junior Member
Mar 5, 2012
Another thing to keep in mind about the point is one of the judges is STAR, and he has said in commentaries how much he loves KotH maps with a point on a spire. Food for thought.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Watched the STVs a few times, got some feedback from actual HL teams playing it, think I'm on the right track. Have a few other changes to make and then a2 will be out.