Suijin

ARENA Suijin RC2

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
suijin_splash.png

Map Workshop Link - Arena
Map Workshop Link - KOTH

Download KOTH Version
Disclaimer: The map was designed for arena, I make no guarentees to the balance of koth.

Suijin is an arena map set on a Japanese cliffside shinto shrine to Suijin, the god of water in Japanese mythology.

The map focuses heavily on rooftop combat and clipping is very lenient. One of the mottos when making this map was "clip only if have to," so things like the far off islands, the roof tops, hiding spots are free game. It features a new theme entirely developed for this map, and serves half as an artwork and theme demonstration as I plan to use this theme in the future, so optimization is a little poor, sorry!

Credits & Special Thanks

E-Arkham, chiefly. For he helped me create the Japanese theme and make the extremely amazing roof models and sakura trees, as well as various other props that you can pick by how amazing they look.

Egan for running it in tests, even without my explicit asking or presence. It allowed Suijin to speed through the testing phase.

A Boojum Snark what mapper doesn't thank him for his prop and gametype library.

Turbo Lover and Others for very awesome feedback.

Eyce for pack checking and for being an aussie mate.

Egan for pack checking also.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2009
It's coz temples are cool!

I agree with this statement, temples are cool. Just like Bowties. Looking good so far. Is there more on the inside of the central building?

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
I do not like those tree models

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
They're the mountain lab trees...Take it up with 3dnj :p

They'll likely be replaced with cherry blossoms eventually anyway.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
a2 released!

There was little layout feedback from the test, so this update is mostly just quality of life things, such as clipping, fixing places getting stuck, changing the rooves a bit and stuff like that.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
They're the mountain lab trees...Take it up with 3dnj :p

They'll likely be replaced with cherry blossoms eventually anyway.
Don't we already have cherry tree props somewhere? I know there's been at least one map that used them; they might have been custom made for it, but I wonder if the creator is still around...

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
a3 and then a4 released. Changelog as follows:

a4:
Removed the fence that blocked the sightline down the back of the map, replaced it with some rocks that block the route instead.
Prettied up some bridges.
Added areaportals to all the buildings.
Repositioned the rocks near the inland ramp to the rooves so that the ramp is far more visible.

a3:
Some more ammo.
Switched the medium health and medium ammo below, hopefully indirectly nerfing the height of the map.
Added another waterfall, because waterfalls are cool.
Modelled Torii's.

Hopefully by next version I'll have some sexy cherry blossoms ready.

Last edited:

woodx

L1: Registered
Dec 29, 2012
You make beautiful maps, and this one looks as good as Ventus (even now).
Wish you good luck with Suijin.

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
Map is purdy, want to see this fully detailed, but I implore you to publicly release any custom content like the torii gate and cherry blossom trees.

The top of the bridge makes you awfully vulnerable to sniper fire for very little reward, a medium ammo isn't really worth almost killing yourself for unless you're completely out of ammo. And if you want to argue that it's useful for high ground advantage then it's only marginally useful, since at that range your damage is pitiful and that's if you can hit them, as they have ages to dodge out of the way.

The healthpack under the bridge didn't see much traffic, at least not that I noticed, in fact I don't remember seeing anyone else utilise it.

5Tr8G.jpg

These roofs are a pain in the butt because damn near the entire enemy team roosts up in them, but they can easily hide from any incoming spam either behind the peak of the roof, or within the cover of the tree's leaves and shadows (Aimed more towards BLU's side of the map, as RED's side doesn't have the leaves so close to the roof or as many shadows)

The pagoda, and by extension, the room the point is in is incredibly boring. It's just a monolithic grey block jutting out of the landscape with the occasional Soldier spamming down at you, containing a flat and empty space with the occasional Soldier spamming down at you.

5TqfE.jpg

There is nothing over here in this part of the map. There is no good reason to come here, maybe putting the bridge with the medium health on it on this side would make it more worthwhile.

There's no real indication what team owns what side of the map, all the torii gates and fences are red, which I understand is for the purposes of detail, but the only other way to determine whether you're in home base or enemy territory is two arrow signs way back at spawn.

All of that said, chalk up another one for "Fun Arena Maps" the height differences throughout were really fun and the theme was just so enticing I had to wear my Samurai Soldier loadout. Seriously, you better fully detail this map.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
A5 released! Changelog is as follows:

Made the back waterfall and area under the boardwalk passable, just so there are no arbitary clipping. The area however, is nobuilded.
Changed the back building so that players cannot hide behind the point of the roof.
Sunk the point a little.
Added small health to the cliff building.
Welcome camera.

The main three changes being the new healthpack in the cliff building, the lowered point (to make the pagoda more "interesting") and the changed back buildings in order to stop people from using the roof point as cover, hopefully dropping the power of the spot for snipers.

MystycCheez

Apr 20, 2013
This map is sooo fun. I just love it. I don't even play Arena, but this makes me consider trying out Arena more. Thanks for the great map; keep up the good work! :D

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
a6, beacuse I wanted to release something for tomorrow.

Almost entirely detailing, please don't blame me. It does have a teensy layout change!

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
I said to add a healthpack to the other side of the canyon so that people are more enticed to wander that way but today I still don't feel that was getting as much use as it should.

So the following are ideas I had, all of them are for the purpose of directing players towards to canyon when they get out of spawn.

sui1-1.png

sui1-2.png

These first two go hand in hand, the idea was simply to have them spawn closer and facing more towards, the canyon, so that'll be their first option to go there.

sui1-3.png

I'm sure you can figure out how this one came about.

Next I figured that maybe people don't like going there because it's not fun to fight around, and it was around this time I noticed that this building looked like a witch.

sui3.png

And I also noticed that nobody really used the covered part of the big bridge, so some ideas to solve both appeared.

sui2-1.png

sui2-2.png

These first two were spawned when I realised I don't like fighting in the small healthpack room because I'm surrounded on all four sides by these high ledges, and making them wrap around the outside of the building forces them to look inside the bridge and out towards the side paths, which may encourage them not to always stick to the bridgetop.

sui2-3.png

The second one was mainly about getting people to go under the bridge rather than over, and I figured that some pickups, and an opportunity to knock someone off to their death, would just about do that.

You're free to use fuck all from these suggestions, but the overriding point I'm trying to make is that the other side of the canyon isn't as fun to fight in or around.

And on the opposite side of the map, I noticed almost no one taking the route through the building by the waterfall, they almost always went on top. I didn't even realise there was ammo there until today.

sui4.png

This works twofold, first it makes the door hella bigger and hopefully hella noticed and used, but also makes everyone who wants up to the roof go up a fairly wide staircase, which the other team are doing simultaneously, so while getting up to the roof is good and all, you're going to be spammed by the enemies with the same idea, which makes the building route more appealing.

5VGQv.jpg

Of course it would help if this building was more spacious. I mean look at that pillar, that room is 50% pillar. No wonder I never saw the ammo in there.There's a room kind of similair to this in Borneo I think, you may want to look at that but damn, shrink that pillar.

Keep on being cool.

Last edited:

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I agree with turbo, but my complaint was simpler: there's no reason to cross the canyon. What's there? a longer, more open route to the height over the point? a small healthkit?

I was going to suggest swapping the small healthkit in the building with the medium one under the bridge, and also opening a doorway or window behind the healthkit so you can throw people out. Possibly even put the health on a little balcony or something behind the building so it's a more immediate risk.

TheClaudioAmericano

Mar 27, 2013
Really love this map, both unique and well layout from what I see. I hope you plan on making a KOTH version of this, if its possible.