Koskit

AntonJ3000

I am inactive and make horrible maps
Oct 29, 2008
--Alpha 9 crashes since some update in late 2011/early 2012, go download alpha 6 or earlier (7 and 8 are horrible), there probably won't be an alpha 10, and if there will be, it will take a couple of years.--

This is my first released Team Fortress 2 map, it's a 1-stage Payload which I started working on in 2009, and now after 2 years, Alpha 9 is finally out, not that anyone cares anyway but eh, here it is.

Thanks to:
AceGikmo - Enviroment Gallery
A Boojum Snark - Gametype Library
Hellfire - Layout Help
Chekko - Layout Help and Testing

Changelog:

-ALPHA 1-

• First Release.
-ALPHA 2-

• Tried to fix the chokepoint before CP2 by changing the "upstairs" area a bit.
  • Fixed BLUs forward spawn being able to be opened without it being unlocked.
  • Added a shortcut for RED that is closes after CP1 is capped.
  • Added a sign pointing where to go outside Red Spawn, it changes direction when shortcut is closed
  • Added a half-arsed non-model explosion.
  • Did a detailing-test to the prop-room in blue-spawn. (No light awesomeness)

-ALPHA "THE REAL A2" 2B-

• Lightscale optimized to 32 instead of 16. (Hellfire's idea)
  • Made the shortcut-door kill players instead of making them stuck.
  • Fixed shortcut-door flickering when open.
  • Remade area near CP1 (No more track on container)
  • Removed the sound from CPs and added the cap bell sound.

-ALPHA 3-

--WARNING CUBEMAPS BROKEN--
They still work for weapons though

• Remade area near CP1 (Alot more paths and stuff now)
  • Train near CP2 is gone (Wasn't really a good idea having it there)
  • Added a building near CP2 and remade the ramps up.
  • Moved BLU spawn near CP2
  • Added proper setup gates.
  • Textured Red Spawn a bit.
  • Nobuilded all ramps/stairs that you could teleporter exploit with.
  • Nobuilded the end explosion glass.
  • Added a respawnroomvisualizer that blocks blue from going to red spawn using their shortcut.
  • Removed TheDarkerSideOfYourShadow's Skybox-sized pine trees because they were almost unnotice-able. (Only 220kb though)

-ALPHA 4-

-DAMN IT, PAKRAT BROKEN-
WHY DO I ALWAYS HAVE TO BREAK SOMETHING?

• Cubemaps now work again
  • Removed random sawblade and replaced it by another trap.
  • Made the second zone grassy like the first one.
  • Added a second entrance to the building near blu-forward spawn.

-ALPHA 4 A-
  • Fixed pakratting

-ALPHA 5-
LOL PAKRAT BROKEN, NOT A BIG SUPRISE EH?
  • Textured final explosion place a bit.
  • Changed "Deathsplosion Explosives" to "Mooseshit Explosives"
  • Fixed players being able to jump down the final-explosion pit by nudging themselves through a func_physbox_multiplayer
  • Changed the trees in the playable-area to Sawmill Trees, mainly due to them having stuff inside them so it wouldn't look weird when you are inside them.
  • Added some trees near final explosion.
  • Added roof to house near blue spawn and ways up to it.
  • Made red able to go out the left-way outside of spawn.
  • Removed the "wet-floor" effect in one of the houses because people without perfect ping (less than 10) will lag there.
  • Added re-route near final explosion
  • Textured a house near CP2
  • Reduced the hurt-trigger near the shortcutdoor that stops people from gettings stuck in door when it closes from 7 seconds to 4 seconds due to it killing innocent people.
  • Moved red's shortcut door to start of shortcut tunnel instead of end of it.
    Added another sign that tries to show red the correct way.

-ALPHA 5A-
  • Pakrat fixed
  • Added some extra healthkit + ammopacks

-ALPHA 6-
  • Added a sign that directs BLU away from red's forward spawn after cp1 has been capped.
  • Changed the soundscape from dustbowl to alpine.
  • Fixed a 1 unit leak in the forward gates from blues spawn.
  • Made the computer-room less dark.
  • Added eyes to cows.

-ALPHA 7-
  • Textured BLU Spawn 1
  • Textured outside of BLU Spawn 1
  • Textured/detailed area near CP1
  • Changed RED's shortcut to a forward spawn
  • Textured outside BLU Spawn 2/Red Spawn 1
  • Added Tree near BLU Spawn 2/Red Spawn 1
  • Textured some of the walls/other stuff inside the CP1 House
  • Added some detail to the walls near CP1
  • Increased width of the upper level on CP1
  • Removed a sidepath after CP1
  • Remade the room after the CP1 room
  • Added some cover near CP2
  • Added extra house near CP2
  • Added a RED Forward spawn near CP2
  • Added warnings to the death pit after CP2
  • Rethemed bomb pit area
  • Fixed fall through floor exploit in bomb pit area
  • Added stairs to a building near bomb pit area and removed playerclip above it
  • Removed laser beam that's triggered on RED Round-win (will add another effect later)
  • Removed spinning sign and ground-signs near bomb pit as those are no longer needed
  • Renamed map to Koskit
  • Removed the engineer in BLU Spawn 1
  • Fixed that the bomb-pit hurt zone was a bit to small on one side.
  • Probably something else I forgot

-ALPHA 8-
Who gives a fuck anyway?

-ALPHA 9-
Uhhh... I actually don't remember, I've changed a whole lot of stuff though.

Last edited:

FLOOR_MASTER

L3: Member
Mar 10, 2008
The first RED spawn point is insanely far from the CP1 region. You absolutely need a forward spawn for RED. In general, the layout is too spacious and ought to be condensed considerably.

I love the name.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Could use a whole lot more than 1 screenshot, especially if it's as spacious as floor is implying.

As for what I can suggest from that screenshot, maybe do some raised sections that blu and run up (like the ones in the first stage of goldrush), and in doing so create a little more vertical gameplay, as well as make the pit a little more interesting to fight in than a box.

Add more screenshots.

Last edited:

DaFatCat

L3: Member
Apr 19, 2009
Even if it is a shitty map, I'll play it just for the name :D

Bot190

L1: Registered
Sep 25, 2008
Awesome name, must have moose crap on the ground, unless of course you mean mooses hit... in which case you would have to have dead moose on the ground

Connect_Four

L2: Junior Member
Jan 28, 2009
Alright, I played this at today's gameday. I tried to screenshot (crappy quality) and write down as many details as I could, so here we go:

The spawn gates on the first Blu spawn caught my attention. It was an odd thing to see. A normal door prop would work in that place.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Ladders D:
You should really consider a workaround to this, in my opinion, abomination of level design. Ladders weren't put into TF2 for a reason, and should stay in DOD, CSS, HL2: DM, etc.

The Chokepoint:
The cart passes through the ladder room, down a narrow corridor. This was the biggest and most annoying chokepoint. No alternative route, no nothing. Snipers could easily take me out from on top of the ramp going to down to the ladder room. Please add another route, perhaps behind the enemy line, to make this assault a little easier.

The Final Control Point:
This was a doooosy. Assaulting it is only accessible by one open route. Snipers, engineers, and demos could easily set up shop and farm at will. Another alternative route is needed in my opinion

Need for Cover:
This map was very open in the outside points, and additional cover should be provided. Soldiers, scouts, and snipers had it easy.

Miscellaneous Notes:
Here are some not so pressing issues that I noticed:
-The gigantic Blu building in the middle of red territory. It just looked so odd, as if you think of it at a logical standpoint, its out of place. Maybe try concealing it, or moving it up and making it some sort of cave.
-Building a track on a shipping container, seemed just plain odd :p
-Random sawblade in the house near the last CP. I guess sawblades are the hip new thing now ;)

That's all I got. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I do like the map, it has a nice layout structure, but it needs a lot of work.

AntonJ3000

Oct 29, 2008
a2 released for gameday, screenshots added, some stuff fixed.

I forgot about removing the shipping container track.

Last edited:

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
well..u can still fix that now,why not?) and then just update the GD submission

AntonJ3000

Oct 29, 2008
Alpha 3 lolololololol

* remade area near cp1 (alot more paths and stuff now)
* train near cp2 is gone (wasn't really a good idea having it there)
* added a building near cp2 and remade the ramps up.
* moved blu spawn near cp2
* added proper setup gates.
* textured red spawn a bit.
* nobuilded all ramps/stairs that you could teleporter exploit with.
* nobuilded the end explosion glass.
* added a respawnroomvisualizer that blocks blue from going to red spawn using their shortcut.
* removed thedarkersideofyourshadow's skybox-sized pine trees because they were almost unnotice-able. (only 220kb though)

AntonJ3000

Oct 29, 2008
Meh, cubemaps is broken in alpha 3.

Because i'm too lazy to rewrite it:
My map dosen't have any cubemaps, and it seems like I have a curse making me not able to build them, Tried 3 times with the long bunch (mat_specular 0, buildcubemaps etc)

That method worked fine for alpha 1 and alpha 2, and i'm not renaming the map or anything like that.

Weapon cubemaps work fine, Glass reflections don't.

AntonJ3000

Oct 29, 2008
You can't build cubemaps after using bspzip/pakrat, that might be your problem

I did before. Then I tried after, still didn't work, tried renaming it and trying again, Nope!

But the cubemaps seems fine for the weapons, that's weird.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Sorry for the late feedback.

First of all, the layout is overall good, but the scale is a bit off. Everything seems so huge and it takes very long to walk to your destination. This is hard to simply "fix", but you should generally make whatever you can smaller, shorter, more compact.

It seemed kind of hard to get to the final point for BLU. I think this was because RED had some good cover for their sentries and height advantage, but mostly because there was no health nearby for BLU. You should give them a little boost by adding some health there.

AntonJ3000

Oct 29, 2008
Sorry for the late feedback.

First of all, the layout is overall good, but the scale is a bit off. Everything seems so huge and it takes very long to walk to your destination. This is hard to simply "fix", but you should generally make whatever you can smaller, shorter, more compact.

It seemed kind of hard to get to the final point for BLU. I think this was because RED had some good cover for their sentries and height advantage, but mostly because there was no health nearby for BLU. You should give them a little boost by adding some health there.

I've tried to make it a bit smaller by adding more buildings and stuff, not sure how to make it smaller. :mellow:

And about Health Kit/Ammo Placement, I'm pretty bad at that kinda stuff.

Can't really practice that kinda stuff now anyway, Hammer 3D View is being retarded.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
The shortcut gate for RED should close on RED's side after the shortcut has been disabled. I actually meant to say this last time, sorry. :p

You have to rethink the layout for RED's spawn(s). This time I noticed that after the first point is capped and the shortcut is disabled, RED is incredibly far away from BLU. No one went to defend because it was really far away from their spawn. RED needs another spawn near point 2 (maybe they could use BLU's existing forward spawn).