Apr 29, 2008
New & Shiny!
CTF_CHICANE_A12b

ctf_chicane_a120008.jpg

Invade CTF
  • Intel respawns 30 seconds after capture
  • Dropped intel can be retrieved by either team
  • Dropped intel returns to the centre after 30 seconds

Everyone had a different gripe about what was wrong with the old chicane and I realised that this was because the base design was crap.
So how does one remedy that? By wiping them clean and starting again of course!
Don't worry though, it's still invade ctf and it still has Rexy's fantastic intel model, only now it will (hopefully) be a lot more interesting to play too! :D

Updated to a12b.
+ Fixed clipping behind capture points
+ Fixed scoring
+ Fixed intel trails
+ Announcer now only yells at the team that's being invaded
+ Announcer should only sound once per alert now
+ Sirens are now only heard inside the base that's being invaded

So what are you waiting for? Go play it now!
Oh yeah, that's right..
You need to download it:

Download bz2
Download 7z
;)

Thanks to:
  • Leminnes for help and discussion on the new layout
  • TerabyteST For telling me how to get the alarms sounding to only one team
  • Rexy for his sexy intel model
  • a Boojum Snark for entity help with alarms & for his ultimate resource pack
  • VelvetFistIronGlove, Grazr, Supersandvich and Snacks for figuring out how to get the invade ctf scoring properly.
  • Acegikmo for the environment gallery
  • Mick-a-nator for his barrel cluster edit
  • Wiebbe for his invade mode announcer sounds

Known issues:

- Stairs right outside spawn haven't been clipped
- The floor lighting at the BLu capture point is doubled up (hence 2x as bright as Red's)

What's next:

+ First detailing pass
+ Another lighting pass
+ Custom skybox texture
+ Badgering Rexy and/or UGLYdumpling for more models :lol:

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2009
2 Things
- The middle is far too dark
- I already told this to vilepickle, keep this in mind for yours as well: make sure to illuminate the upper reaches of your map, so that a flying soldier or demo is not invisible up there.

Colt Seavers

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 30, 2007
Had a run round earlier - really like the layout. Looking forward to some games on this at the weekend 8) shame about the name :|

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Ahem. helps to research names first ;)

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/50540

Yeah, Macnetron pointed that out to me just after I posted a link at playstuff, unfortunately google failed me, I'll recompile later with a new name...
*scratches head*

2 Things
- The middle is far too dark
- I already told this to vilepickle, keep this in mind for yours as well: make sure to illuminate the upper reaches of your map, so that a flying soldier or demo is not invisible up there.

Yep I concur, and good advice on the second point, I hope some up-lighting will help with that.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
OK, name changed to Chicane, lights added and a few other minor tweaks put in.
The lights are a little too bright in the middle now but at least you can see where you're going. :D

Can I get a mod to change the name of the thread to Chicane please?

P.s I know there's a disembodied light to fix on the BLU side, it's on the list. ;)

Last edited:

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
It does indeed need texturing, I've been away for a few days so I've not been working on it.
I think however that before texturing I'll wait for some gameday feedback and think about how to improve the base sections. It seems at the minute that the bases are too compliacted and that it's too easy for peple to just rocket jump over the whole base section and cap.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
My initial feedback is simplify, simplify, simplify. The middle is fine, but once you get into the bases, there are just so many little side rooms and doorways it gets overwhelming, and it becomes very difficult to read the flow of the battle. Strip away all the "interior" side paths and rooms (excluding the spawn room of course) to just get your basic layout, and then figure out what is actually needed to provide for strategic offense and defense of the area.

pl

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 6, 2009
Gameday feedback:

I'd have to agree with Shmitz - when playing through at gameday, the battle just felt all over the place - I saw a lot of stray classes moving about. I would try to concentrate on having more direct routes to the central point and remove most of the complicated rooms within the two bases.

Other than that, this is a great map that I did enjoy at gameday, but there are some things which need changing.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Thanks for the feedback guys, I agree it's way too complicated in the bases, also I'm kind of worried about the way demos and soldiers can just sump straight to the point at the moment. I'm working on stripping it back and breaking the base space up a little, should have another version up soon.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Ok I need some help, I've got myself in a bit of a pickle.
I've redesigned the bases again to retain the new layout but feel a lot less claustrophobic and I'm at the stage where I want to give the map a theme and some texturing. My problem is, because of the confined layout I've made, I now have very little room to put in detailing and make the buildings look vaguely realistic. This is most evident in the buildings which create walls between the central area and the bases as they're too thin to be real whole buildings.

My question is does anyone have any ideas as to how I should style these thin buildings to make them look like they could be actual buildings or should I move everything to make more room?

EDIT: Or should I just ignore the problem as the player will never see more than one side at any one time so they won't know how thick the thin buildings are?

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

lockitup

L2: Junior Member
Nov 15, 2009
My question is does anyone have any ideas as to how I should style these thin buildings to make them look like they could be actual buildings or should I move everything to make more room?

I would suggest posting a version of the map with part of it detailed without you having to do much work in terms of restructuring the map. For someone who doesn't map and doesn't really know much about what you are talking about I'd like to see if it really made much of a different playing it or not.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Ok I'll do that. I probably won't detail too much but I'll put a first texture pass on and maybe add a couple of props just to see if the general consensus on the style is positive, and if the dividing building looks wrong or not.

Thanks for the response :)

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Bumping for A7 & lack of dev textures. :D

This is actually the second texture pass, I tried something different first and put it on a server and then decided it was crap so this is the revised version.

Let me know what you think peeps. :)

Edit: there seems to be a bug with overtime not finishing in tournament mode since I switched back to the invade setting on the flag. would be great if anyone could confirm this.

Last edited: