Promotion

AgeNt_

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 12, 2009
Hey TF2Maps.net!
The map has been through a tough year now and is finally getting somewhere. It is a decent sized payload map that has kept me busy for many months. Thanks to calculated chaos server for hosting my map and testing it out.

Some credits:
A Boojum Snark - ABS Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack (Gameplay library)
Calculated Chaos - Hosting playtest sessions
tf2maps.net - Hosting playtest sessions
United Kingdom Community Servers - Hosting playtest sessions
Ravidge - Texture The Re-Colored Pack

You can check out the all new BETA 5
PROMOTION HUB

Thanks and enjoy!

Whats left to do?
- extra detailing.
- extra game play tweaks.

Last edited:

AgeNt_

Aug 12, 2009
@honorum646
Thanks for your post! I understand right now it does not look that great. Its still in alpha so please bare with me. Next, yes I understand there are not many signs as I am trying to keep them low because I am seeing maps that just point the way you should be going. Instead I am trying to make the player choose which way they want to go. Thanks for the feedback! Ill take note into what you said!

honorum646

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 9, 2009
Yes I understand there are not many signs as I am trying to keep them low because I am seeing maps that just point the way you should be going. Instead I am trying to make the player choose which way they want to go.

The point of having signs is to give the player the quickest route to defend the cart/push the cart. If you have NO signs, then the players will not have any idea where to go. Players will not HAVE to follow your signs, but having guidance will help in getting to know a new map.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9AHEXAcwao"]YouTube- YOU'RE GETTING A PROMOTION![/ame]

Had to be done.

abar193

L1: Registered
Nov 22, 2009
Nice map, i'm waiting relase.
I didn't liked ( maybee its just personal ) that some places player cant pass sitting on the cart. He falls. It's not big problem, but annoying. On the end of stage 1 there too many healthkits and ammo. Too many. I think.
On stage 3 it's ice? Wery funny to slide on it, but i'm not shure how will it be with enemies.
---
PS. Shoudn't ice water in ice map hurt player?

AgeNt_

Aug 12, 2009
alright due to request i updated it with a new version. I added signs all around the map (mainly in the first stage) and lowered red spawn times from integer '9' to '7' to help out against defense. please let me know how the signs work out and ill keep the updates rolling out. thanks!

Apr 19, 2009
The first 2 stages were really long and drawn out. However, stage 3 was really fun and could really become something epic. Oh and 2-2 had a sentry gun. Also try and build the spawns so people don't see 12216357625 func_respawnroomvisualizers

AgeNt_

Aug 12, 2009
thanks for the comments! i just finished watching the demo and i have some things planned out for shortening the stages a bit. The random sentry was something added a long time ago to prevent players from skipping and building on that point. And after the recent builds i havnt removed it. And for the func_respawnroomvisualizers there just a placeholder for now. i will crank out a new version here soon so keep your eyes peeled.

Geal

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
I'd say change some of the red spawns - spawning into a HUGE arrow showing where to go is a bit unsettling. Shrink down the arrow, and temporarily block off the paths you don't want players going to yet with a gate or something.

As stated before, the map is HUGE. Also, the first checkpoint is an extremely difficult chokepoint for blu, feels like it should be really late in the round. The water in map 1 was a bit odd - it was just the right height to obscure the player's vision. I'd personally say remove it, since it really doesn't add a whole lot to the gameplay. If you do leave it in, at least adjust the height a bit and change the texture below it so it isn't snow. If anything, consider changing it to the ice featured in the third stage.

Speaking of the ice, I like it, but think it should be used sparingly. For stage 3, I'd say add in some more solid paths leading over the ice for players to take. Also, make it look like the train tracks are along a bridge - as someone stated during testing: in summer when the ice thaws, do the train tracks just float there along the surface of the water?

AgeNt_

Aug 12, 2009
first off, thanks a lot for the feedback!

I'd say change some of the red spawns - spawning into a HUGE arrow showing where to go is a bit unsettling. Shrink down the arrow, and temporarily block off the paths you don't want players going to yet with a gate or something.
Oh yes, I have a few ideas to fix around things after watching the demo.

As stated before, the map is HUGE. Also, the first checkpoint is an extremely difficult chokepoint for blu, feels like it should be really late in the round. The water in map 1 was a bit odd - it was just the right height to obscure the player's vision. I'd personally say remove it, since it really doesn't add a whole lot to the gameplay. If you do leave it in, at least adjust the height a bit and change the texture below it so it isn't snow. If anything, consider changing it to the ice featured in the third stage.

the map yes is giant, i have shortened the length of the track for the first stage so you do not have to do useless turns. the water has already been removed as I seen nobody use it for putting fire out, so its been nerfed.

Speaking of the ice, I like it, but think it should be used sparingly. For stage 3, I'd say add in some more solid paths leading over the ice for players to take. Also, make it look like the train tracks are along a bridge - as someone stated during testing: in summer when the ice thaws, do the train tracks just float there along the surface of the water?

yep, im thinking on adding a surface on the track that is normal friction so players could grip to the cart rather than sliding past it. and yeah, i lol'ed when i heard you guys talking about that lol.

Lockhart

L2: Junior Member
Sep 1, 2009
It was fun on the indoor areas I thought. As an engineer there were almost too many spots that covered most if not all the tracks and various entrances. Some fences towards the end weren't solid, so that made the cliff-top sentry heaven.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
ridiculously long defense times.

It took us the whole allotted half hour to complete one round, and didn't get our turn to play offense.

Cut all the defense times down by about 50% atleast, there's no reason for someone to be holding out for more than 3 minutes after they cap the first point.

Last edited:

AgeNt_

Aug 12, 2009
thanks alot guys! i will be coming out with a fix soon after i review the demo. I have been working on detailing it lately but id like to get it optimized first. However, I have followed many tutorials to help me optimize but none made any sense for me. any place i could get them?

Mar 23, 2010
Best use of no entry!

Also, I joined in the middle, and i really liked the stage we were on. I think it was first stage (maze-y, snow behind us), because we went to the 2nd and then the last stage (one with the ice) afterwards i believe.

The first stage was excellent IMO. 2nd and 3rd were really spammy and chokepoint-y. In beginning of 2nd stage, right after coming out of spawn, there was a pretty well guarded sentry, and then there was a bunch of demospam when we got out of that giant room from spawn. Last stage was pretty good, the ice was annoying, but i guess some people like that.

Last thing was that offense felt way to uber-dependent. maybe it was the lack of medics, forcing me to be one, but we were stuck for 5+ minutes until i filled up my uber, took down everything with a pyro, and then we quickly capped. Not necessarily a bad thing i guess, because it was a damn good feeling.

Sorry for long post.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
off topic
Promotion.png