Hardhat

Hardhat B2a

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
"Ey good job there, Hardhat!"
-Scout, on arena map designs

Two teams stuggle over an old coal outpost situated in the center of the Hardhat Hills, just outside the Dustbowl. While the surrounding area is being built up, the only blueprint for victory here is to demolish the other team.* So grab your guns, get ready, and don't forget to wear your hardhat!

*also, you can capture a control point.

Last edited:

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
Looks very busy, and I feel like it would just keep going round-and-round (gameplay wise). Plenty of height variation, though!

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Thanks guys! I posted the download link, in case anyone is interested.

Mar 23, 2010
i was distracted while we were playing but i noticed the spawns were way to close together. im pretty sure they are closer than lumberyard's but i cant tell. might want to measure that. we never got to see the actual point!:eek:hmy:

also, stickies disappear when the timer ends. probably intended.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Yeah, it's small. I'll try and expand it.

Also:
also, stickies disappear when the timer ends. probably intended.

lol wat

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
what the fuck were you doing.

How did you escape my trigger.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
>rocket jumping in spawn
>logical train of thought

Mar 23, 2010

I dunno what happened but my sticky traps disappeared no matter where i put them when the arena timer on round start ended.. I was gonna ask you how you did it!

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
You need to change the roof. Currently it is slanted but with a flat part towards the edges, get rid of the flat part, it provides cover to people on the roof. Then you need to add higher areas around the roof from which people can shoot roof standers.

h3r1n6

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 7, 2009
I dunno what happened but my sticky traps disappeared no matter where i put them when the arena timer on round start ended.. I was gonna ask you how you did it!

It's in the game mode, engineer buildings also disapear when you build them during countdown.

The map looks a bit small from the screenshots, haven't downloaded it.

Mar 23, 2010
It's in the game mode, engineer buildings also disapear when you build them during countdown.

The map looks a bit small from the screenshots, haven't downloaded it.

ohlol.

Aug 10, 2009
All these arena newbies are making me smug :p Anyways I didn't get a chance to test it with you guys but I did run around it, so here are some screenies I made/took for you :)

Figure 1. I thought this place could use some stairs, because without them it's essentially a deathpit for players caught in the lower ground.
arena_hardhat_a10001.jpg

Figure 2. This hallway looks pretty narrow (192 looks a lot taller vertically), so I would expand it to 256-320. I feel like 384 would make it too dominant of a pathway though.
arena_hardhat_a10002.jpg

Figure 3. I suggest you add three or so buildings along that whole wall, to expand your map as it does need expansion in my mind. Attached or behind those buildings I would move your spawn.
arena_hardhat_a10003.jpg

As far as the map goes it looks like you've got a really great mid going on there :) I think all it needs is a little expansion and more height transition to make it all great.

EDIT: fix'd

Last edited:

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
I've been taught that there's no such thing as too much height variation.

A2 will feature a method for getting on to the roof for non soldiers and demos, so they'll be substantially less OP.