arena_pickaxe

AxiomaticFrood

L1: Registered
Aug 18, 2010
arena_snoverflow

Hi I'm AxiomaticFrood and this is my first attempt at a Team Fortress 2 map.

Well, technically this is the second version of my first attempt I was semi-confident about...

Here I have some screen shots of the in progress map, just to see if anyone had thoughts.

Basically the goal is to have it seem as if this was a small industrial complex that was absolutely buried in snow.

The second screen shot is of the previous version, primarily for comparison purposes...

The last screen shot is a duplicate because I unintentionally took too few screen shots.

Notes:
-The displacements just started, and they need to be cleaned up.
-The blue side is textured as if it's red currently...
-The lighting indoors is darker in the screenshots than in game....not sure why.

Last edited:

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
Here's some of the problems i can see with your map
The displacement ceilings look a bit weird and jagged, they should be a lot smoother. Plus when you have ceiling rock edging like that, it's generally taken thousands of years to form, not quickly formed around a flimsy wooden palisade. As well as that the map looks quite large for an arena, it might work better as a koth, but that might just be my opinion. Also you should avoid having the same textures both on the wall and the floor, change them respectively and finally YOU NEED SIGNAGE otherwise nobody will know where anything is. Just a few prop signs and maybe some overlays should do the trick and help people get to the point.

Other than those small problems, you've avoided most of the noob mistakes so I congratulate you on that. This map could look quite good when the problems are fixed, geometry is given a bit of a bump up and it's detailed. You've done a lot better than my first map for tf2

AxiomaticFrood

Aug 18, 2010
I didn't put too much work into the displacement ceiling or the lighting quite yet because I wanted to wait until the detailing stage because the ceiling shouldn't influence game play too much, at least not in this case.

I haven't been able to decide about the size of the map, but I'm worried it will be a bit too large, too. I think I'm going to need a play test to determine what areas can be squished, though. Hopefully there will be a game day when I'm free some time soon.

Thanks for the post.

Fredrik

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 15, 2009
Some things I think you should change:
Those small concrete buildings, replace them with some thing else, cuz they looks actually horrible.
And you need to put up some signs where the capture point is.
And I think you should choose one theme it looks kinda ugly when the map is split with on woody side and on concrety spytech side.

AxiomaticFrood

Aug 18, 2010
After some consideration and a discussion with one of my friends I've determined that I'm going to both shrink the map significantly and change the theme to something more appropriate to the new layout.

Basically, I'll be back in a while with something better.

AxiomaticFrood

Aug 18, 2010
Just thought I should mention that there's some screen shots of the current updates and that there is no map file (until I finish this alpha).