PL Hoist A4

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
Pl_Hoist_A4

Gametype: Single Stage Payload
Players: 2-24 (32 max)
Authors: Billy "Blob" Hicks

Contest entry for the TF2M Major contest #7 - Dynamic Payload.

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1518074/pl_hoist/A4/pl_hoist_a4.bsp.bz2

2013-02-02_00013.jpg

Last edited:

Moose

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 4, 2009
Your alpha geometry has always been totally solid, really blown away here. Good luck Blob, hope to play on this map soon! I'll be sure to give you some feedback when I have something to say.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Hoping that CP's 1 through 3 wont be a massive performance issue. I know nightfall has some issues because the skybox isn't sealed between arena's. Stuff has a habit of rendering around corners even if visleafs and areaportals wont physically allow it.

There's a reason all payload maps are a big loop.

Mr.Blob

Jun 12, 2009
Hoping that CP's 1 through 3 wont be a massive performance issue. I know nightfall has some issues because the skybox isn't sealed between arena's. Stuff has a habit of rendering around corners even if visleafs and areaportals wont physically allow it.

There's a reason all payload maps are a big loop.

only 2 & 3 are not sealed from each other, and anyway, if it's an issue with D, I can loop it around for A2.

Mr.Blob

Jun 12, 2009
Just so all you baddies know it's still alive........... cough Tech
I've made some progress...
2012-01-25_00001.jpg

2012-01-25_00003.jpg

Fixed blue spawn being camped
Made the starting area slightly larger
Fixed the right hand flank and Red flanking blue so easily
Added a new route for Blue on the left
A now has an elevator
and so on....

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Played this earlier. Real difficult to push onto CP1 because all the flanks converge to one point before the CP making one massive choke at the slope infront of CP1. The choke is made more problematic by the fact RED have the ledge in the building to the left of the CP (BLU perspective) where they can shoot down onto BLU from complete safety and cover.

The map then tends to steamroll onto last where we had several games holding last for 10 minutes.

It feels like you need more/improved flanking options at B too. BLU have to cover a lot of open ground to get onto the far right flank and that area was barely used for several rounds. The map has some real interesting gameplay and then for RED defending behind B this area is a real bore and very flat with few flanks.

Last has some nice gameplay but i feel like it could do with being a bit bigger. Some more cover would improve spy gameplay around here. There'd be fewer 10 minute bulwarks if a spy could uncloak in a few covered positions where he's not exposed by respawning RED players.

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Oh, excuse the double post, didn't notice your updated map version, we must have played an old version. Not sure how the new A plays out, that left flank looks a bit iffy, not much cover.

If you havn't changed the area around C, this area sees almost no RED activity besides when they counter attack from last and regain ground. I'm guessing it's an issue with RED being thrown back a spawn exit/room as BLU progress. Players learning the map will help soften this issue when they learn to fall back effectively but you really need something to slow BLU down, CP B or directly after would be a perfect location to stall the cart for 20-30 seconds with a dynamic element.