Upland

CP Upland RC4

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Thats how steel works...

Idk, it feels flat in a few too many places, and has some very open and long areas, where heavy's and snipers could dominate (i'm looking at A and B specifically).

I like D though, don't know why. And B really need supports on the floors, looks silly without them.

IrishTaxIDriver

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 27, 2008
Idk, it feels flat in a few too many places, and has some very open and long areas, where heavy's and snipers could dominate (i'm looking at A and B specifically).

It really wasn't a problem in the first test last night. I was very surprised at how well it went.

And yeah, I want to get some more height variation in. Don't worry about it, its only an alpha.

TMP

Abuser of Site Rules
aa
Aug 11, 2008
This map was a blast as a fan scout, literally, it's like you designed it in mind :O

Quit stealing the whole "infinite routes" from petrol though >_>

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
a slow door at C, a window overlooking E from A, a drop in blu spawn...I've seen it somewhere :p

also rocketjumping seemed to be more useful than in most maps

We took apart steel and realized the maptype doesn't really function without those things, so we introduced variation wherever we could otherwise, like with the points, spawn locations, and routes to E.

This map was a blast as a fan scout, literally, it's like you designed it in mind :O

Quit stealing the whole "infinite routes" from petrol though >_>

I've never heard of petrol, though :(

Last edited:

TMP

Abuser of Site Rules
aa
Aug 11, 2008
In short, Petrol was made by Icarus, then given to me, then given to moose, then I dunno. But basically, when I came along, B ended up becoming a point that had like infinite routes in once you got into it.

It plays out interestingly when you do such a thing but it may be a bit too complex in terms of everything. (THIS IS REFERRING TO YOUR MAP)

And you do not need the drop in blu spawn!

honeymustard

L9: Fashionable Member
Oct 26, 2009
I've played petrol.. and have no idea what you're talking about. Also the drop does need to be there due to the door to B on the left - RED can spam into the spawn area easily if it's on ground level (which was in the initial design).

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Its a band aid fix. We have some ideas for that but felt this was fine for the alpha.

People raggin' on our dropdowns...

TMP

Abuser of Site Rules
aa
Aug 11, 2008
I dunno, something about the sheer number of paths in this map reminded me of petrol and an issue I had with making it, maybe it was D, not sure, but I don't know specifically.

I really do like the map though. There may be a bit too much crazy involved with the overall layout though. Sure as hell made FaN scout fun, but I don't think it would be the same with all the classes.

I think I've said the same thing three times. If I have, sorry!

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
I'm pretty sure its the same number as Steel honestly. I think it'll be fine as long as we nail down the confusing parts.

honeymustard

Oct 26, 2009
Updated for a3 for the game day, just adjusted some small things based on 2f2f feedback. Will address the blu spawn (including building inside) for the next version.

English Mobster

Jul 10, 2011
I ran around this map really quick in preparation for game day.
Overall, I think you have a good map on your hands. The only issue I might raise is thus:
At Blu spawn, you have arrows pointing to A and B. That's all well and good, that's fine. Most people will go to the exit to A right away... Which only has a single exit, and at least 2 routes for Red to flank.
While eventually, people will understand that the exit to B can also provide a route to A, it will be a bit confusing for that first life.

E: I'm a moron, never mind. Disregard this; I have no idea how I missed that other exit.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I like the fact that it's steel but with fewer narrow corridors, the space looks nice; but what are you gonna do to make it look not like pl_upwards, you've even copied its name pretty closely.

Also E looks boring as hell. For a final point it doesn't look very interesting and i'm not simply talking in terms of aesthetic because it's clearly in alpha. I like the idea that E could be on an elevator and each captured CP lowers it to the floor below (or half floors), taking it further from RED's spawn (if it was close to the top floor) and each level grants it additional access points. Such as each CP lowers it 128 units which might increase the amount of catwalks/jumping positions or drop downs onto it.

C looks the most interesting, by far, in terms of gameplay and the WIP geometry. D looks less interesting, CP's tucked away into corners never have played particularly well; and the curved wood just bugs the hell out of me.

Last edited:

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Tested a new version on 2F2F today, major changes were some re-working in how E works (to drop slightly with each point like Grazr said, appearantly this was Mark's original idea for E and I really think it works well), a new route for Red at B to prevent them from getting stuck in their exit, and some more signage.

http://www.danmerboth.com/files/cp_upland_a4.rar

Next version we're going to do some more work on E and D.

honeymustard

Oct 26, 2009
Can I get an a5 bump? I updated the screenshots in the op. C and D are largely the same - they seem to play pretty well, though D could use some spicing up. Need more tests.