Fly-through video:
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a1dTsNLL7U

Explosion video:
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBzruUxTgs8

Development video (slightly outdated):
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEVSo56RVIo

Bonus:
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6H366LZxh0

Boundary is a single stage payload map in the same vein as Badwater, but with a snow theme.

Special thanks to Rexy for the custom explosion, Tyker for the snow cart model, and FLSH for the Knifeback Mountain poster.

Last edited:

tovilovan

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 23, 2008
When you're using the same lighting, textures, gamemode and setting as badwater I sense a serious risk of people being scared of a badwater ripoff when seeing this. Getting inspired by a theme is good, merely copying is not that good. Good luck with the map anyhow!

honeymustard

L9: Fashionable Member
Oct 26, 2009
Thanks. There's still room for texture changes - it's only the first alpha version. By saying the same style as badwater, I wasn't really referring to its theme (kind of going for more goldrush/dustbowl to be honest). Initially I set out to make a harvest themed payload map, but the design relies a bit too much on rocks/cliffs which I couldn't work out a suitable substitute for.

Mr. Wimples

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 27, 2010
About with the badwater-type vibe; you may be able to make it look quite different without switching up textures simply by making it nighttime. Other than that, can't wait to see it on a server.

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
I had a quick runthrough it today on my own, to get a feel for it. My first impressions are that there's a good use of height variation and everything seems scaled fine. Some small things though:

Picture 1
I'm not a fan of the fall damage everywhere near the first point, as a defender it would make it harder to ambush from behind by dropping down if the cart is inside already.

Picture 2
Feels a tad open, I dunno, maybe add a rock or something on the inside of the turn? A Little more cover to duck and dart behind when fighting.

Picture 3
I didn't quite understand this bit, was it built up for snipers or something? I dunno. Just confused me for a second.

Picture 4
I foresee demoman spam here, downhill + nades = death

Picture 5
I didn't know whether this killed me or not at first, I guessed it did but I had to jump down to test just incase. Some barrier at the side, and some warning signs wouldn't go amiss.

Take all this with a pinch of salt, since I didn't play it with players, get it up on an impromptu, I'd love to play it, it seems good.

honeymustard

Oct 26, 2009
Thanks for the reply! I should have probably mentioned somewhere that the map has already gone through about 5 test versions (should have been alphas I guess, but obsessing over map suffixes is not my thing), so some of the problems you talked about are not really an issue. Still, I will take some things on board, cheers :)

honeymustard

Oct 26, 2009
qwwqc0.jpg

Here is some progress on the re-theme. I might try setting the whole thing on a mountain, with the last area similar to Glacier's C point.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Snow themes are tough to pull off because everything ends out being whitewashed.

honeymustard

Oct 26, 2009
a2 released

- Complete theme revamp
- Largely detailed the first 2 1/2 points
- Added more cover the first point, and stairs to benefit the defenders
- Added cover to the balcony
- Added a new route on the final point

honeymustard

Oct 26, 2009
Had to release b2 early as there were a few annoying bugs.

- Fixed gates not opening on cp1 capture
- Fixed some clipping
- Fixed a spectator camera
- Fixed menu photos

Nathan Quake

L1: Registered
May 8, 2010
I love the scape across the map. Feels open, yet crammed.

+ kudos