Combustion

KotH Combustion b1

Apr 13, 2009
This map started out as an attempt to make a 5cp map and re-use the pipeline theme with a visual twist. Later I found out I couldn't do a satisfying 2nd cp, I don't like 5cp all that much anyway, and there are many better maps for it out there. So koth it is.

Conceptually, high ground on both sides, decent sniping sightlines in the back, and ground level flanking routes on the sides.

And err that's it. Looking forward to playing it with humans, bots are useful but can only get you so far in testing. :p

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
mid point looks like it could make a decent koth map. looks like a good, solid layout.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
koth_combustion_a10000.jpg

Some jarring drops. Jump while going over these, and you take damage.

koth_combustion_a10001.jpg

Huge Sightline. this powerful a spot, if it's this small, will also have snipers jostling for position.

koth_combustion_a10001.jpg

big LoS there.

koth_combustion_a10002.jpg

koth_combustion_a10003.jpg

koth_combustion_a10004.jpg

koth_combustion_a10005.jpg

From outside, i cant tell if they can see me or not.

cool map though.

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
and so begins the legacy of the sexiest skybox the world ever did see

Mar 23, 2010
and so begins the legacy of the sexiest skybox the world ever did see

and the inevitable map that will never live up to its perfection. PROVE ME WRONG.

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
I don't know what's everybody's thing with that skybox... I think it just looks weird and not skyboxy enough, though I really look forward to see what this map looks like detailed.

As for gameplay, I'd have no idea, looks good, a few long los and confusing windows as mentioned above, so yeah... looks good...

Apr 13, 2009
I don't know what's everybody's thing with that skybox...

I honestly have no idea either. :p

But then again I don't know why people offer ridiculous amounts of items for Max's head, or are even interested in acquiring it in the first place.

Last edited:

ricardojvc6

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 8, 2009
The map is great, it looks like you detailed a bit.. but the sky... is lawful good.. you can make it much better changing the orange and yellow... make the the orange on top of dome and then make the yellow one the same size as the orange one.. add a sun.. if you want... and add some clouds. This way is much better because it can make the sky realistic... the sky you have in the moment ... looks barely realistic. I know you can make better stuff. And Please fix those windows.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
actually, a sun would improve that sky, particularly a setting one

I think i left all the !fb i could think of.

One of my only issues, was the health around the point. There's no incentive to attempt to reach the upper health. I'd make the health on the top level a medium, and move the ammo up next to it, or split the ammo.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The map is too easy to defend once you've captured the middle and advanced into the enemies buildings.

There's almost no focus on the middle. Once the point is captured, where there will be little intervention as the majority of combt happens around the point, the point largely gets left alone for several minutes.

The point needs to be more easily assaulted and the buildings less defensible by attackers.

Apr 13, 2009
a3
-Moved health and ammo pickups closer to the point, farther from the bases. Removed unnecessary health and ammo pickups.
-Slight changes to spawns to make spawncamping less effective.
-Changed respawn wave times to be more favorable to the team on the losing side
-Redesigned capture area. Overall it is larger and more open, while the surrounding buildings (switch towers) are closer to each other and to the point.
-Moved the ramps that were on the CP into the swich towers.
-Fixed some clipping issues.
-And other minor layout changes for more intuitive navigation.

Apr 13, 2009
Yeah, I don't know if this is going anywhere... I was going to have it replaced by my contest entry, but it has issues of its own, so maybe not after all... At least it's on hold for now.