Public Discussion: Map Showcase Submissions

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I was directed to this thread by Frozen or somebody yesterday because I disagree with the changes to the front page. I don't know if this is strictly speaking related to the showcase voting thing, but here goes anyway.

I'm not happy with the fact that Showcase Maps has taken the place of Latest Maps on the front page (sure, Latest Maps is still there, but it's so far down it's practically invisible). I think it's very important for a site concerned with the development of maps to embrace all new maps. Even if we don't exactly go to all of those threads and post in them when they appear, they would still get their brief chance to entice people on the front page, and to be noticed. I think that's important exposure.

Furthermore, I would argue that the Showcase isn't worth prioritizing in such a way. The Showcase is of no use for people to find specific maps, since it's randomized and doesn't even have a link to the showcase subforum, so really it's just there to look pretty.

I would propose moving Latest Maps up one slot above Showcase Maps - or, if necessary, just below it. I would also propose (as I've done before) a link in the Latest Maps box to an expanded list of all new map submissions. Or if it's easier, a link to the Map Workshop forum. Either works I'm sure.

Again, sorry if this is too unrelated. I haven't really read the thread so I'm not sure how much of a tangent it is, but I'm not sure I should make a new thread for it.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
(sure, Latest Maps is still there, but it's so far down it's practically invisible)

Just wanted to add that I actually thought Latest Maps had disappeared completely.

EDIT: Just had an idea - have Showcase and Latest maps take up the same space, with a button to switch between the two. Maybe have it default to Showcase if you're not logged in, and default to Latest if you are?

Last edited:

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
Can I say that I think the process is too long?
The from submission to it being showcased is a fairly long time, I think in general things we do take to long, this is similar to the last 72. I feel the voting period was way to long and people forgot about the maps.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I think "recent maps" should be replaced with "recently active maps".
that way we don't waste as much space on the front page with crap maps (crap maps that are soon to become great of course!)

This. There is nothing but 100% bullshit in the most recent maps bit. They'er either people's 1st alphas or the many joke/junk maps that get submitted here and then never see any testing/activity in the threads. It should definitely be the last 4 map thread comments not the last 4 maps submitted.

Ninja edit: (just so we're clear, I count submission as a comment, so they should appear when they're submitted, but they should be pushed off by threads with more recent comments rather than just more recent submissions.

Last edited:

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
It should definitely be the last 4 map thread comments not the last 4 maps submitted..

it could also be the last 4 maps that have been tested on the server. I'm aware that's a lot more complex to achieve on the technical side of things but it would be a way to direct people to topics of recently tested maps (not that it really matters because no one goes on the main page but you know...)